Can I File A Claim Against The Dallas City Government If I Was Injured On Their Property?

You can’t simply file a claim against a government agency in the same way that you file a claim against another person. If you were injured in an accident on property belonging to a Dallas government agency, there are certain rules to follow before you get started filing a claim.

Say, for example, you fell on a broken step at the entrance of a government building in Dallas and suffered injuries. If your injury had occurred on any other premises, you would begin the process of filing a claim against the premises owner. However, in this particular case, you will first file a formal government liability claim with the exact governmental agency that you believe is liable for injuries.  Additionally, there are government liability damage caps depending on which agency is involved.

How Do I File A Crime Against A City Government Agency?

When filing a formal claim with a government agency, you must include a complete description of the accident that occurred, including the date and place of the accident. Provide a complete description of the manner in which the accident occurred, including the presence of the defective condition on the property that caused your injuries. Provide all of these details so that the city can respond.

Besides, there are statutes of limitations when it comes to filing a claim against a government agency. You must file a claim within six months of the occurrence of the injury. If you were filing against a private citizen or business, you would have two years to file.

Because of this expedited process, it is best to speak to a personal injury attorney in Dallas before you file a complaint about your injury. Texas government agencies are not lenient with time limitations and your injury attorney will already know when these are and keep you on track to hit all the deadlines.

What Kinds Of Government Buildings Are Liable In A Claim?

First, you must determine that the government unit is indeed liable in your claim. Only certain types of government properties may qualify, here are some examples of departments that are acceptable against which to file.

  • Police department
  • Public hospital
  • Water control building

If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in a government building, speak to a personal injury lawyer about filing a claim. Government agencies are only liable for certain types of accidents and injuries. Further, their liability is often restricted which hinders your ability to recover damages. Call 214-290-8001 to speak with attorney Julie Johnson at our firm, and discuss your case.

    Contact Us

    * Fields are required

    By clicking submit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.